How do I use DynFi to protect virtual machines?

This forum is the place to discuss any installation problem or question you might have related to DynFi Firewall.

Moderator: gregober

Hack3rcon

How do I use DynFi to protect virtual machines?

Post by Hack3rcon » 25 Mar 2024, 15:52

Hello,
I have two questions:
1- If I want to use DynFi as a virtual machine, is it free?

2- I use XCP-ng and want to protect virtual machines. There are VyOS and pfSense firewalls for this. Can DynFi be used for this?

Cheers.
gregober

Re: How do I use DynFi to protect virtual machines?

Post by gregober » 25 Mar 2024, 17:28

I have two questions:
1- If I want to use DynFi as a virtual machine, is it free?
Yes, it is free.
You can use DynFi Firewall free of charge.

If you are talking about DynFi Manager, you can use it for free for up to three devices, after you will need to have your license.
2- I use XCP-ng and want to protect virtual machines. There are VyOS and pfSense firewalls for this. Can DynFi be used for this?
Yes, DynFi Firewall can be used for this.
We have an install guide available for Proxmox, which should help you figure out how to install our soft in a virtual environment.
https://youtu.be/PsDuU8sr1ww?si=jwuvoMhqAfW8CcuA
Hack3rcon

Post by Hack3rcon » 26 Mar 2024, 15:52

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
1- How to configure DynFi without DynFi Manager?

2- You said that the use of DynFi Manager is free for up to three devices. Does device mean virtual machines or hosts?

2- Can you take a look at XCP-ng and write a short tutorial on how to configure DynFi for it?
gregober

Post by gregober » 26 Mar 2024, 16:00

1- How to configure DynFi without DynFi Manager?

2- Can you take a look at XCP-ng and write a short tutorial on how to configure DynFi for it?
For #1: Well you install the firewall from the image and bind it to whatever IP settings you have in your XCP-ng install.

For #2: I don't think so, we are building an open source firewall that's free… Imagine if we had to deploy and explain it for every existing virtualization technology! But since you seem to be using XCP-ng, I would strongly encourage you to do this video and share it with the community ;) This will be a double benefit for you and for our users: you would learn how to install a firewall on XCP-ng and share it with our users.